HeadlineHealthNews

FAAN Tightens Airport Surveillance as Central Africa Ebola Outbreak Sparks Fresh Concerns

Passengers from high-risk regions to face stricter screening as health authorities intensify preventive measures across Nigerian airports…..

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has stepped up health surveillance and emergency response measures across the country’s international airports following renewed Ebola concerns in parts of Central Africa.

The agency assured travelers and aviation stakeholders on Wednesday that precautionary systems have already been activated to prevent any possible importation of the virus into Nigeria.

In a statement released by FAAN’s Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Henry Agbebire, the authority said it is collaborating closely with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC), Port Health Services, and other government agencies to strengthen monitoring procedures at airports nationwide.

According to the statement, health officials have intensified passenger screening, particularly for travelers arriving from regions currently considered high-risk.

FAAN disclosed that passengers are being monitored for symptoms linked to Ebola Virus Disease, while any suspected case would immediately undergo isolation and secondary health evaluation in line with both local and international health safety protocols.

The authority added that emergency response coordination has also been strengthened to ensure rapid intervention if necessary.

“Passengers are being screened for symptoms associated with Ebola, and any suspected case will be promptly isolated and subjected to secondary health checks,” the statement noted.

FAAN further explained that airport personnel have undergone additional sensitisation and preparedness training as part of wider efforts to maintain safe airport operations.

Despite the heightened vigilance, the agency stressed that Nigeria has not recorded any confirmed Ebola case at the moment.

The renewed alert follows the World Health Organisation’s recent declaration of the Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on May 17, 2026.

The outbreak, which reportedly began in the DRC’s Ituri Province before spreading into Uganda, has triggered growing concern across the region following rising infections and deaths.

Meanwhile, medical experts have warned Nigerians not to underestimate the new strain of the virus.

A consultant in Community Medicine at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, Dr. Emem Peters, cautioned that the Bundibugyo strain differs significantly from the Ebola strain that affected West Africa in 2014.

Speaking during an interview, Peters explained that unlike the Zaire strain previously encountered, there is currently no approved vaccine or established treatment for the new outbreak.

“This particular Ebola outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain, which is different from the Zaire strain we dealt with in 2014,” she said.

“We do not have a vaccine yet to control this strain, and there are no known treatments available for its management. What is critical now is early detection and supportive care.”

According to available reports, the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has already resulted in over 500 suspected cases and more than 130 deaths, raising fears of possible regional spread.

 Peters described Ebola as a severe viral haemorrhagic disease capable of damaging blood vessels and multiple organs, potentially leading to shock and death in severe cases.

She also highlighted some of the common warning signs Nigerians should watch for, including fever, weakness, headaches, vomiting, diarrhoea, body pain, and in some cases, bleeding.

Health authorities continue to advise the public to maintain proper hygiene practices, avoid unnecessary exposure risks, and promptly report suspected symptoms to health officials as Nigeria strengthens efforts to prevent another Ebola outbreak.

Share this:

Opeyemi Owoseni

Opeyemi Oluwatoni Owoseni is a broadcast journalist and business reporter at TV360 Nigeria, where she presents news bulletins, produces and hosts the Money Matters program, and reports on the economy, business, and government policy. With a strong background in TV and radio production, news writing, and digital content creation, she is passionate about delivering impactful stories that inform and engage the public.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *