Renewed Attack in Benue Leaves Over 100 Feared Dead

No fewer than 100 people are feared dead following a deadly overnight attack by suspected armed invaders on Yelewata community in Guma Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State.
The attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, is the third such assault on Yelewata within a week. The community, situated along the Benue–Nasarawa border, was left in ruins as gunmen stormed the area just before midnight, laying siege for more than two hours. Witnesses described a coordinated and brutal onslaught, with little to no response from security operatives.
“In previous attacks, some brave local youths managed to push them back,” a resident said. “But this time, they came in large numbers with sophisticated weapons and completely overpowered the community.”
In a separate incident in Daudu, another rural town in Guma LGA located about 20 minutes from the state capital, Makurdi, two soldiers were reportedly killed during a similar attack.
Witnesses have described the Yelewata massacre as “an annihilation of a race,” alleging that it appeared to be a deliberate attempt to wipe out an ethnic group, with many burned beyond recognition.
“Most of the victims were internally displaced persons (IDPs) sleeping in market stalls and roadside shops. The attackers poured petrol and set fire to the shelters, burning people alive in their sleep. Others were hacked to death in their homes with machetes,” he said. “Some families lost as many as 10 to 15 members. Over 40 people were taken to the hospital, but at least 20 died before getting there. I fear the death toll could exceed 200.”
President of the Association of United Farmers Benue Valley (AUFBV), Dennis Denen Gbongbon, also confirmed the attack, blaming suspected Lakurawa bandits believed to be herders.
“At about 2 a.m. today, suspected herdsmen attacked Tiv farmers and IDPs in Yelewata. Over 62 people were killed, and several homes were burned. Entire families were wiped out in the most horrific ways,” he said. “Roughly 85 percent of the victims were IDPs who had earlier fled violence in other communities such as Antsa, Dooka, Kadarko, and Giza.”
Search and rescue efforts are ongoing, and the death toll is expected to rise as more bodies are discovered. Several victims remain in critical condition in various hospitals across the state.
Authorities have yet to issue an official statement regarding the attacks.




