Azman Air has received the approval of the federal government to airlift Nigerians “stranded at the Egyptian border” due to the war in Sudan.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, chairperson of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), said Egypt has opened its border for the Nigerian students fleeing the war in Sudan.
In a tweet, the Nigerian airline said it got the federal government’s approval to commence evacuation on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, prior to this development, the federal government had sent 40 buses to evacuate Nigerians from Sudan following the civil unrest that erupted in the Northeast region.
The buses cost the authorities about $1.2 million.
Geoffery Onyeama, minister of foreign affairs, said the high cost of the evacuation was to provide security cover for the Nigerians’ journey to the Egyptian borders.
Last week, the government said it expected the first batch of Nigerians stranded in Sudan to arrive in Abuja.
It also said a boeing 777 from Air Peace would depart Lagos and transport the first batch home, barring any unforeseen circumstances.
However, things did not go as planned owing to unexplained diplomatic constraints.
The conflict between Sudan’s army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), a paramilitary group, has killed over 400 people and left many stranded.
Thousands of civilians have fled Khartoum, Sudan’s capital, with foreign nations making efforts to evacuate their citizens.
Successful evacuations had commenced since the RSF agreed to a 72-hour cease-fire plea following a series of mediation from the United States.