BusinessHeadlineNews

FG to Scrutinise MTN’s $2.2bn IHS Towers Deal – Bosun Tijani

Communications minister says proposed acquisition will undergo regulatory review to safeguard competition, consumers and Nigeria’s digital economy ambitions……

The Federal Government has announced it will closely examine MTN Group’s planned acquisition of a majority stake in IHS Holding Limited to ensure the transaction supports Nigeria’s long-term telecommunications objectives.

Earlier on Tuesday, MTN Group disclosed that it had reached an agreement to purchase the remaining 75.3 percent stake in IHS in an all-cash transaction valued at $2.2 billion, a move that could significantly reshape ownership within the country’s telecom infrastructure space.

Responding to the development, Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijani, said the government would conduct a comprehensive assessment in collaboration with relevant regulatory agencies.

Sector Reforms Boost Confidence

Tijani noted that over the past two years, the administration of President Bola Tinubu has prioritised strengthening the telecommunications sector through clearer policies, regulatory backing and sustained engagement with industry players.

According to him, recent financial results from major operators indicate stronger profitability, increased capital expenditure on infrastructure and improved operational stability trends he attributed to reform efforts and renewed investor confidence.

“These gains reflect the resilience of the industry and the impact of government reforms,” the minister said.

Balancing Growth with Oversight

While welcoming investment and consolidation, Tijani stressed that telecommunications infrastructure plays a strategic role beyond commercial interests. He described the sector as critical to national security, financial services, innovation, economic expansion and social inclusion.

As a result, he said authorities would review the implications of the deal to ensure that any structural changes:

  • Protect consumer interests
  • Safeguard existing investments
  • Preserve competition
  • Maintain long-term industry sustainability

The government’s evaluation will determine whether the acquisition aligns with broader national development goals and Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda.

A Defining Moment for the Industry

The proposed takeover represents one of the largest recent transactions in Nigeria’s telecom infrastructure landscape. Industry analysts say it could influence tower ownership dynamics, capital flows and network expansion strategies across the country.

For policymakers, however, the priority remains clear: encouraging investment while ensuring that consolidation strengthens rather than distorts the foundations of Africa’s largest telecom market.

As regulatory reviews commence, stakeholders across the sector will be watching closely to see how the deal fits into Nigeria’s evolving digital economy blueprint.

Share this:

Opeyemi Owoseni

Opeyemi Oluwatoni Owoseni is a broadcast journalist and business reporter at TV360 Nigeria, where she presents news bulletins, produces and hosts the Money Matters program, and reports on the economy, business, and government policy. With a strong background in TV and radio production, news writing, and digital content creation, she is passionate about delivering impactful stories that inform and engage the public.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *