HeadlineNewsSecurity

Court Sets November 20 for Judgment in Nnamdi Kanu’s Terrorism Trial

Justice Omotosho rules IPOB leader waived right to defence after failing to present case within allotted time…

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled November 20, 2025, for judgment in the ongoing terrorism trial of the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

Justice James Omotosho fixed the date on Friday after ruling that Kanu had failed to open his defence despite being given six days by the court to do so.

The judge noted that since Kanu did not take advantage of the opportunity to defend himself, he could not claim a violation of his constitutional right to a fair hearing.

“The defendant, having failed to utilise the opportunity granted him to conduct his defence, cannot claim to have been denied the right to fair hearing,” Justice Omotosho ruled.

Earlier, the court had directed Kanu to open his defence by November 5, following the closure of the prosecution’s case and the dismissal of his no-case submission. Justice Omotosho had warned that failure to comply would mean Kanu had waived his right to present a defence.

At Friday’s proceedings, Kanu who is representing himself told the court he had not filed a final written address as ordered but instead submitted a motion with a supporting affidavit. He maintained that there was no valid charge against him and demanded his immediate release from detention.

“I will not enter any defence because there is no valid charge before this court. I should be released and allowed to go home,” Kanu told the judge.

However, prosecuting counsel Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) objected to Kanu’s latest filings, describing them as incompetent and improperly submitted. He urged the court to treat the documents as Kanu’s final written address and proceed to judgment.

In his ruling, Justice Omotosho held that the filings were properly submitted and would be considered during judgment. The judge also noted that, as Kanu is not a legal practitioner, the court would allow him the opportunity to consult with a lawyer before the final decision.

The court had previously adjourned the matter several times to allow Kanu to either present his defence or file his final written address after the prosecution concluded its case.

Share this:

Opeyemi Owoseni

Opeyemi Oluwatoni Owoseni is a broadcast journalist and business reporter at TV360 Nigeria, where she presents news bulletins, produces and hosts the Money Matters program, and reports on the economy, business, and government policy. With a strong background in TV and radio production, news writing, and digital content creation, she is passionate about delivering impactful stories that inform and engage the public.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *