
In the wake of the Oyo school abduction, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, has accused South-West governors of neglecting repeated calls for joint action on insecurity.
Speaking on a television interview on Tuesday, Adams described the Oriire attack, where gunmen abducted pupils, students and teachers and killed one victim, as “very sad and highly condemnable.”
He warned that the South-West must urgently address rising insecurity, noting that the region had not previously experienced mass abductions on such a scale. Adams said he had written several letters to South-West governors over the past two years urging coordinated action, but claimed there was no response.
He added that he had earlier identified Ondo, Ekiti, Osun and Oyo states as vulnerable to attacks, and also raised concerns about Ogun State. Adams said he lacks constitutional authority to coordinate security operations despite his title, stressing the need for stronger collaboration among stakeholders.
He also recalled a world press conference where he called for joint efforts involving traditional institutions and security organisations, including the Oodua People’s Congress. Adams expressed frustration that despite his warnings, he continues to face criticism over insecurity in the region.




