The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has dismissed allegations that he unilaterally imposed a curfew ahead of Saturday’s Area Council elections, insisting that the decision was taken with the approval of President Bola Tinubu.
Speaking after monitoring voting in parts of the FCT — including Garki, Karu, Karshi, Wasa, Apo and Ketti — Wike said it was inaccurate to suggest he acted independently.
“It is unfortunate. I thought as a senator she should be able to read. I never imposed a curfew on my own. I clearly stated it was done with the approval of Mr. President,” he said.
The Restriction Order
In a special broadcast aired on national television and radio on Thursday, the former Rivers State governor had declared Friday a work-free day in Abuja to allow residents prepare for the council polls.
He also announced a restriction on human and vehicular movement across the FCT from 8 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Saturday.
The directive drew criticism from the senator representing the FCT, Ireti Kingibe, who described the action as unacceptable in a democratic society.
Kingibe argued that imposing a sweeping restriction on movement without broad consultation with critical stakeholders undermines democratic governance and the constitutional rights of residents.
“The people of the FCT are not subjects under a dictatorship. They are citizens of a democratic republic. Any sweeping restriction on their movement and livelihoods must be justified by compelling evidence, subjected to scrutiny, and carried out with transparency,” she said.
While acknowledging the importance of maintaining law and order, the lawmaker stressed that security concerns should not serve as a blanket justification for what she termed executive overreach.
Wike Fires Back
Responding to the criticism, Wike said he would not “join issues” with the senator, suggesting her comments stemmed from a misunderstanding of his earlier broadcast.
“When you hear someone’s speech, why not take time to listen to what was said? She has her problem; I don’t want to join issues. At the end of the election, when the results come out, then we will know,” he added.
Assessment of the Polls
On the conduct of the elections, Wike observed that voter turnout was generally low, particularly in the city centre, though he commended residents for their peaceful participation.
He also praised officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies for their professionalism, noting that, based on reports available to him, no incidents of violence had been recorded.
The minister further applauded INEC’s deployment of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS), describing it as a critical tool in strengthening electoral credibility.
He urged residents of the FCT to remain orderly and law-abiding until the entire electoral process is concluded.




