BusinessHeadlineNews

FG to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport for Nigerians Abroad in January

New STEP system to let stranded citizens generate emergency travel documents on their phones, replacing old embassy-based process

The Federal Government says it will roll out the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January, introducing a digital solution that will allow Nigerians abroad who lose their passports to generate an emergency travel document directly from their mobile devices.

The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, announced the development on Friday in Abuja during the launch of the ECOWAS Biometric Identity Card.

Tunji-Ojo said the innovation would eliminate the long-standing requirement for stranded Nigerians to visit an embassy or consulate in person before obtaining an emergency travel permit.

“This initiative will enable Nigerians abroad who lose their passports to generate an emergency travel document using any mobile device without visiting an embassy,” he said.

The minister urged citizens to trust the government’s ongoing reform agenda and support efforts aimed at strengthening national security and modernising identity management.

Part of broader digital identity rollout

The STEP programme will operate alongside other new digital identification systems, including the recently launched ECOWAS National Biometric Identity Card (ENBIC), designed to enhance regional mobility and bolster security across West Africa.

Earlier this month, the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) confirmed that STEP would replace the existing Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC). The new document will still be issued at designated embassies when needed, but will primarily function as a single-entry emergency passport generated digitally.

According to the NIS, the upgrade is part of a broader effort to strengthen border governance, improve identity verification systems and align Nigeria’s immigration processes with international best practices.

Ongoing immigration reforms

The launch of STEP comes amid sweeping reforms introduced by the NIS to modernise passport issuance and immigration services both within and outside Nigeria.

Key initiatives rolled out over the past year include:

  • A major upgrade of the passport application portal in January 2025 for faster, more efficient processing.
  • A contactless biometric passport system for Nigerians in the diaspora, already operational in the U.S., Brazil, Jamaica and Mexico.
  • Record passport issuance—over 3.5 million produced in under two years—driven by expanded enhanced passport centres nationwide.
  • A digital CERPAC platform, which now allows expatriates to apply online for residence and work permits.
  • A centralised passport personalisation system, launched in September 2025, capable of producing up to 5,000 passports daily, cutting processing time to as little as four to five hours.

The government says these reforms are part of an ongoing effort to deliver faster, more transparent and globally compliant immigration services.

Share this:

Opeyemi Owoseni

Opeyemi Oluwatoni Owoseni is a broadcast journalist and business reporter at TV360 Nigeria, where she presents news bulletins, produces and hosts the Money Matters program, and reports on the economy, business, and government policy. With a strong background in TV and radio production, news writing, and digital content creation, she is passionate about delivering impactful stories that inform and engage the public.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *