HeadlineHealthNews

The National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives – Federal Health Institutions Sector (NANNM-FHI) has refuted reports claiming it has suspended its ongoing nationwide seven-day warning strike. Speaking to our correspondent on Friday, the association’s National Public Relations Officer, Omomo Tibiebi, confirmed that the strike—which began on Wednesday—remains in effect, despite a meeting earlier in the day with the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate. “The strike has not been suspended,” Tibiebi said. “Earlier today, the NANNM executives met with the Coordinating Minister, and afterward, he went to the press to announce that the strike was called off. However, he wasn’t the one who declared the strike in the first place, so he cannot unilaterally call it off. The strike is still ongoing.” Nurses and midwives under the NANNM-FHI are demanding several long-standing reforms, including an upward review of shift and uniform allowances, the creation of a distinct salary structure for nurses, an increase in core duty allowances, the mass recruitment of nursing professionals, and the establishment of a dedicated nursing department within the Federal Ministry of Health. Tibiebi noted that the union’s National Executive Council (NEC) will meet on Saturday to assess the Federal Government’s commitments and decide whether they are substantial enough to warrant suspending the strike. “There will be a National Executive Council meeting tomorrow, and that’s when a final decision will be made. We’ll determine whether the promises from the Federal Government are sufficient to suspend the strike,” he added.

The National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives, Federal Health Institutions Sector (NANNM-FHI) has refuted reports claiming it has suspended its ongoing nationwide seven-day warning strike.

Speaking to our correspondent on Friday, the association’s National Public Relations Officer, Omomo Tibiebi, confirmed that the strike, which began on Wednesday, remains in effect, despite a meeting earlier in the day with the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate.

“The strike has not been suspended,” Tibiebi said. “Earlier today, the NANNM executives met with the Coordinating Minister, and afterward, he went to the press to announce that the strike was called off. However, he wasn’t the one who declared the strike in the first place, so he cannot unilaterally call it off. The strike is still ongoing.”

Nurses and midwives under the NANNM-FHI are demanding several long-standing reforms, including an upward review of shift and uniform allowances, the creation of a distinct salary structure for nurses, an increase in core duty allowances, the mass recruitment of nursing professionals, and the establishment of a dedicated nursing department within the Federal Ministry of Health.

Tibiebi noted that the union’s National Executive Council (NEC) will meet on Saturday to assess the Federal Government’s commitments and decide whether they are substantial enough to warrant suspending the strike.

“There will be a National Executive Council meeting tomorrow, and that’s when a final decision will be made. We’ll determine whether the promises from the Federal Government are sufficient to suspend the strike,” he added.

Until then, the strike continues, and essential health services across federal institutions remain partially disrupted, as nurses await the outcome of the NEC’s deliberations.

Share this:

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *