The suspect responsible for the attack on the animation studio that killed 33 people has been identified.
The police during a press conference on Friday identified the suspect as a 41 year old Shinji Aoba adding that he has unspecified mental health issue.
Ryoji Nishiyama, spokesperson for Kyoto Fushimi Police said they are not yet sure of the connection the suspect has with studio in Kyoto’s Fushimi-ku district.
The suspect remains in the hospital owing to the severe burns he sustained during the attack. So far, officers have been unable to question him.
The police confirmed that 74 were inside the building at the time of the fire. Twelve men, 20 women and another individual whose gender was unknown died in the blaze while 35 were injured. All of those who died were employees.
After extinguishing the fire, firefighters entered the building and found 20 bodies lying on the staircase leading to the roof exit. Another team found 11 bodies on the second floor of the building and two on the ground floor.
The attack was recorded as the most deadly mass killing in the country since a 2001 arson attack on a building in Tokyo’s Kabukicho district, which killed 44 people. The death toll from Thursday’s fire was greater than the Tokyo sarin gas attack on a subway in 1995, which killed 13. The people inside had no time to escape as the fire spread so rapidly
Fans all over the world are grieving the loss of lives and the studio which claimed to put its employees first and was a major force in the industry.
Anime fans and mourners Friday visited the building and laid flowers in tribute to those who had lost their lives.
“I was so encouraged by the KyoAni works,” said one young fan, calling the studio by its popular name. “I have no words to say in sorrow.”
On Thursday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Tweeted saying that he was speechless at the “gruesomeness of the crime,” and he offered his condolence to victims.