South Africa Flood Toll Rises To 443 As Deluge Eases

332

The death toll from floods that have battered South Africa’s East coast has risen to 443, with dozens still missing.

Floodwaters engulfed parts of the southeastern coastal city of Durban and surrounding areas early last week ripping apart roads, destroying hospitals, and sweeping away homes.

“The death toll now stands at 443,” Sihle Zikalala, the premier of the KwaZulu-Natal province told a media briefing, adding 63 other people are still unaccounted for.

Zikalala said the “inclement weather has slowed our assessment and rescue operation on the ground, but we are once again back in the full swing”.

The South African government has announced an immediate $68 million in emergency relief funding.

Also, Deputy Social Development Minister Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu said some 340 social workers had been deployed to offer support to traumatised survivors with many still missing children and other relatives.

While the south-eastern region has suffered some flooding before, the devastation has never been so severe. South Africans have previously watched similar tragedies hit neighbouring countries such as cyclone-prone Mozambique.

As a result of the floods President Cyril Ramaphosa have been forced to postpone a working visit to Saudi Arabia that was scheduled to begin Tuesday.

 

 



Abisola Adebayo is a Reporter/Presenter/Social Media Manager for Tv360Nigeria. She is a first class graduate of the department of Mass Communication at Fountain University, Osogbo. Abisola is currently running her Masters Degree at the University of Lagos. The Social Media savvy young lady is ambitious and driven, likes trying new things and sets new goals for herself. Always looking for an opportunity to do better and achieve greatness.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.