Country Director for Save the Children, International Nigeria, Mercy Gichuhi has called for the immediate release of the over 300 school girls abducted in Zamfara state.
Gunmen stormed the Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Zamfara and whisked away 317 school girls in the early hours Friday. This is coming when the nation is still awaiting the return of 42 persons kidnap in Government Science College, Kagara in Niger State.
In a statement signed by Amanuel Mamo, Director of Advocacy and Campaigns, Save the Children, International Nigeria, Gichuhi said the attacks on schools carried out so far are unacceptable and schools should never be a place of fear.
Gichuhi also condemned the attacks, stressing that abductions could cause severe psychological trauma to children, and puts them at risk of never returning to school.
The aid organization has also warned that being kidnapped, witnessing kidnappings, experiencing school attacks, and being forced to flee and take refuge from armed groups are extremely traumatizing events for young children and adolescents, including girls.
The statement said with Nigeria set to host the 4th International Conference on Safe Schools in 2021 and as one of the first African countries to endorse the Safe School Declaration (SSD), it is important for Nigerian government to ensure that children have access to safe, quality and uninterrupted education at all levels.