Military bans Shiites from protesting in Jos

279

The Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) has warned members of the proscribed Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) from protesting in any part of Plateau State.

The Military Information Officer, Major Ishaku Takwa gave the order in a statement signed on Thursday.

IMN members, otherwise known as Shiites, had planned a protest in Plateau State for Friday 20th August, 2021 over the health challenges of its leader Ibrahim El-Zakazky.

But the joint security task force said intelligence reports indicate that the planned protest will breach security in the state.

“While we acknowledge the rights of individuals and groups to hold peaceful protests or processions, it is however instructive to note that the fragile security situation on the Plateau is currently not conducive for such activities.

”Besides, intelligence reports available further reveals plans by hoodlums and miscreants to hijack the protest and cause mayhem in Jos Metropolis and its environs.

“In view of the above, we are hereby calling on members of IMN to shelve their plan to protest in the state,” he said.

El-Zakzaky was arrested by the military on December 13, 2015 after a bloody clash between his followers and Nigerian soliders in Zaria, Kaduna state.

Last month, El -Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, who had been standing trial for four years on an eight-count charge including alleged culpable homicide – were freed by a court in Kaduna.

 




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *