Libya releases at least 100 migrants from shelled detention centre

387

Libyan officials have allowed at least 100 migrants to leave the Tajoura detention centre in the capital Tripoli which was hit by a deadly attack last week.

Officials at the centre, run by the U.N.-backed government in an eastern suburb of Tripoli, said they took the decision after the migrants protested over not being included in an evacuation list by the United Nations’ refugee agency (UNHCR).

Only 55 of the migrants were on the UNHCR list, said an official at the detention centre who asked not to be named.

“We opened the gates and let them go,” he told Reuters.

The official added that about 110 other migrants remained at the complex, lying in the open air and using mattresses to shelter from the sun.

“They don’t want to go back inside the hangar as they’re afraid of any further air strikes,” he said.

World Health Organization (WHO) in its latest death toll released on Twitter said 53 people were killed with 130 others injured in the attack.

The attack on July 3 happened as eastern forces under Khalifa Haftar keep up a ground and aerial offensive to wrest control of Tripoli from the U.N.-backed government. Both forceshave blamed each other for the attack.

 




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.