An independent United Nations rights expert has revealed that there is credible evidence that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and other senior Saudi officials are liable for the murder of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
UN special rapporteur Agnes Callamard in her report based on a six-month investigation said Khashoggi was a victim of a “deliberate, premeditated execution, an extrajudicial killing for which the state of Saudi Arabia is responsible under international human rights law”
Callamard went on to say that she had viewed CCTV footage from inside the consulate for her investigation.
Her report also found that there was evidence that “Saudi Arabia deliberately used consular immunity to stall Turkey’s investigations until the crime scene could be thoroughly cleaned.”
“In view of my concerns regarding the fairness of the trial of the 11 suspects in Saudi Arabia, I call for the suspension of the trial,” Callamard said in the report.
In addition, the report identified by name the 15 people who were part of the mission to kill Khashoggi. It also suggested that many of them were not on the list of 11 unnamed suspects facing a closed-door trial over the murder.
The special rapporteur further noted that the probes conducted so far by Saudi Arabia and Turkey failed to meet international standards.
Callamard urged UN Secretary-General António Guterres to further establish an independent and impartial international probe.
Meanwhile, Adel al-Jubeir, Saudi minister of state for foreign affairs has debunked the findings in the UN report, describing it as “unfounded”.
Al-Jubeir said on Twitter that the report reiterates allegations which already been published and circulated in the media.
Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor and critic of the Saudi crown prince, was murdered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018.