JAMB to review commencement date for 2020 admissions

383

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it is considering a new date to kick start the 2020 admissions process.

The board had earlier told all institutions to begin admission for candidates for first and second choices on August 21, 2020.

However, in a statement released by the board’s spokesperson, Fabian Benjamin, JAMB said it will be meeting all heads of tertiary institutions on Monday to discuss the possibility of shifting the commencement of admissions to a date that would better accommodate the ‘vagaries of the COVID-19 pandemic.’

Benjamin said the board will be looking at the possibility of ensuring that institutions either delay or prolong their screening exercises to accommodate candidates who will be taking the 2020 O’level Examinations to be conducted by WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and other entrance examination into tertiary institutions.

“As a responsive organisation whose mantra is equity and fairness, the Board desires that every aspiring candidate who had taken its UTME be given equal opportunity to compete with his/her peers for the available openings.

This is the reason for its call for another meeting with all the institutions with a view to amending the earlier and mutually-agreed date for the conduct of Post-UTME screening and other processes,” the statement read.

The federal government has released a comprehensive schedule for various national examinations for graduating classes between August 17 and November 18.

The Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) for SSS3 students conducted by the National Examination Council (NECO) will start on October 5 and end on November 18 while the National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB) examinations will start on September 21 and end on October 15.

The West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) will begin on August 17.

 




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *