Iran has said it will “take revenge” for an attack on an underground nuclear site which it blames Israel for.
The Natanz uranium enrichment plant site near Tehran was hit by a power outage on Sunday that Iran labelled “terrorism” although the government said no one was injured and there was no radiation release.
Tehran has blamed Israel’s Mossad spy service for previous attacks on its nuclear facilities and experts — including the killing last November of its top nuclear scientist, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said Monday it was clear the latest incident too was an Israeli act of sabotage.
“Of course the Zionist regime, with this action, tried to take revenge on the people of Iran for their patience and wise attitude regarding the lifting of sanctions,” he told a press conference.
Khatibzadeh vowed that Iran’s response would be to take “revenge on the Zionist regime” when and where it chooses.
“If the purpose was to interrupt the path of lifting the oppressive sanctions against Iran, they will certainly not reach their goal.”
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was quoted as saying Tehran would not allow the attack to affect the Vienna talks, to avoid “falling in the trap” set by Israel, state news agency IRNA reported.
It is the latest of a string of incidents hitting Iran’s nuclear programme came days after talks resumed in Vienna to salvage the battered 2015 Iranian nuclear deal that former US President Donald Trump abandoned.
Iran’s Nour News agency, which is affiliated to the Supreme National Security Council, cited an intelligence ministry source as saying the “main perpetrator” had been identified and an operation was under way to arrest them.
US and Iranian officials are holding indirect talks in the Austrian capital, Vienna, to try to break the impasse, with European officials acting as intermediaries.