Generator fumes kill family of seven in Rivers

634

Seven members of a family, made up of the husband and his wife as well as five children, were on Thursday discovered dead inside their one-bedroom apartment in Rivers State after allegedly inhaling carbon monoxide from generator fumes.

The accident was confirmed by the Rivers State Police Public Relations Officer, Nnamdi Omoni.

He stated that the Nathaniels were said to have slept off in the sitting room while watching television, while their generator was still running in the kitchen. The fumes spread into the sitting room where members of the family were, and suffocated all seven members of the family.

A neighbour of the Nathaniels, simply identified as Prisca said they discovered that they were already dead in the sitting room when they went to check on them.

“The generator was left in the kitchen of the one-bedroom apartment. It could be that they were watching television and at a point, they slept off in the sitting room without putting off the generator”, she said.

“This morning, when neighbours went to check on them because they had not come out, they discovered that all of them had died; no member of the family survived it.”

“Their corpses have been taken to their village in Ihiagwa, Imo State. They were seven in number; the father, the mother and five children. I only know one of them, Miracle Nathaniel, who was about 10 years old,” Prisca added.

The police spokesman said they have commenced an investigation to unravel the circumstances that led to their death.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *