Ten more bodies have been removed from the rubble of a collapsed apartment building in Florida, Miami increasing the death toll to 46.
According to Miami-Dade’s County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava, emergency personnel had been able to reach new areas in the pile of debris as a result of the demolition of Champlain Towers South in a controlled explosion over the weekend.
Whle speaking to journalists on Wednesday, she noted that the effort made it possible to retrieve ten victims from under the rubble adding that thirty-two of these victims have been identified and next of kin notifications have been made.
Meanwhile, the number of people still unaccounted for dropped to 94.
“At this time, 200 people are now accounted for and 94 people are still unaccounted for,” Levine Cava said.
The building in Surfside collapsed in the early hours of June 24, nearly two weeks ago. Investigations are under way to determine the cause of the collapse.
Levine Cava said rescuers were lucky as the weather had cleared, with Tropical Storm Elsa making landfall on the Sunshine State’s west coast.