The Nigerian Army has said that they have not received any formal petition over their alleged shooting of unarmed #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate on Oct. 20.
The counsel for the Nigerian Army, Akinlolu Kehinde (SAN) said on Saturday before the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS Related Abuses and Other Matters.
Brig.-Gen. Ahmed Taiwo gave evidence on behalf of the Nigerian Army on the events of Oct. 20, said there is no allegation whatsoever against the Nigerian Army before this panel. He asked the panel to discountenance any proposal that the testimony of the Nigerian Army should not be allowed because of a proposed petition.
Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN) the counsel representing seven #EndSARS protesters had earlier said that he had been unable to make a formal claim on behalf of his clients before the panel. Olumide-Fusika said that the panel’s Terms of Reference only covered matters relating to the Nigerian Police and the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and that his complaint is against the Nigerian Army.
He also noted that the panel must be set up by a legal instrument not just the tweets from the Lagos State Governor Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu stating that a panel will be established.
The lawyer said he applied for the copy of the instrument establishing the panel by the governor, but was refused on the ground that freedom of information Act does not apply to Lagos State.
Meanwhile, the head of the nine-man panel, Justice Doris Okuwobi (Rtd) in a ruling stated that the alleged shootings at Lekki covered the panel’s Terms of Reference.
She said The Lekki incident was not covered by the original instrument of the panel and it was amended on Oct. 21 to include the Lekki incident.