1,606 die from Ebola outbreak in DR Congo – Health Ministry

517

DR Congo’s health ministry says the death toll from the Ebola epidemic has risen to 1,606, and  that a new fatality has been reported near the border with Uganda.

The health authorities say it has so far recorded 2,382 cases of Ebola, of which 1,606 had been fatal.

“So far, 177 people who have been in contact with the family have been identified in Ariwara and 40 have already been vaccinated,” the ministry said.

The disease broke out in North Kivu before spreading to Ituri.

Two people also died in Uganda in June after a family returned from eastern Congo where they had buried an Ebola-stricken relative.

Separately on Friday, the UN said the Ebola risk in Ituri was being heightened by the violence that has caused people to flee their homes, forcing them to gather in places with poor hygiene that were vulnerable to disease spread.

The current epidemic is the worst on record after more than 11,300 were killed Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone in an outbreak, between 2014-2016.

 

 




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.