The death toll from an attack Monday on a military base in northern Burkina Faso has risen to 24.
The previous toll from the attack, at Koutougou in Soum province near the border with Mali, had been given late Monday as “more than a dozen”.
The military also confirmed in a statement Tuesday that seven people were wounded and five others missing.
Monday’s attack came four days after suspected jihadists raided a village in the restive north, killing 15 people, plundering and burning shops.
A security source told AFP that an “extraordinary meeting of the defence council” was underway at the presidential palace in the capital Ouagadougou.
The country’s main opposition party, the Union for Progress and Change (UPC), said the government-appointed by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore had “completely failed”.
It called for a “new team, whose prime task will be to defend the territorial integrity and protect the public.”