Burundi security forces kill 14 armed men plotting attack

283

Security forces in Burundi have killed at least 14 armed men who had intended to launch an attack in the northwestern province of Bubanza.

“Dismantlement… of a group of armed criminals from the DRC,” the country’s security ministry wrote in a tweet on Tuesday.

“Fourteen criminals were killed and 11 guns they were carrying seized,” it added.

Police deputy spokesman Moise Nkurunziza said the men, from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, entered the province at dawn on Tuesday and were killed in the district of Musigati.

The group had the “intention of repeating the carnage of Ruhagarika”, he said, referring to an attack last year that killed at least 26 people days before a constitutional referendum that cleared the way for President Pierre Nkurunziza to stay in power until 2034.

The motives behind the planned attack were not immediately clear.

Last month, the United Nations warned that Burundi was at risk of a new wave of atrocities as it approaches next year’s election with an unresolved political crisis.

 




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.