At least 14 people have been killed and dozens injured in a busy market in northern Afghanistan following a Taliban mortar attack.
According to Hanif Rezaee, an Afghan army spokesman, several Taliban shells hit the market, situated in the Khwaja Sabz Posh district of Faryab Province.
He added that the Taliban had been trying to hit an army checkpoint near the market.
“Fourteen civilians were killed and 40 — including women and children — were wounded,” Rezaee said.
Meanwhile, Naem Musamim, Faryab’s public health director, said 14 bodies and 39 wounded people including four children had been taken to local hospitals. Some victims with critical injuries were airlifted to hospitals in Mazar-i-Sharif in Balkh province.
Abdul Karim Yuresh, Faryab provincial police chief spokesman, said that the likely target of Friday’s attack was a nearby security post.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed, however, claimed that the mortars were fired by the government during a gunfight.